[Dfey-nw-discuss] Liverpool Linux User Group Meeting - 2nd Dec 2009

From: Andrew Williams
Subject: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Liverpool Linux User Group Meeting - 2nd Dec 2009
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:04:43 +0000

Liverpool Linux User Group Meeting - December 2009
Date Wed December 2nd, 2009 from 7:00pm - 8:00pm
Location: Liverpool Social Centre, 96 Bold Street, Liverpool, England L1 4HY
Speaker: Tom Hall - RAID and LVM: Why you want them, what they do, how to do it
in Linux.

Liverpool Linux User Group are a group of Linux and open source software users
that meet on the first Wednesday
of the month. If no talk is organised then we will usually organise a “open
stage” for people to discuss
projects, current news, or just to rant.

Main Talk
Tom Hall will be giving a talk; RAID and LVM: Why you want them, what they do,
how to do it in Linux.

This talk introduces the block device (the abstraction that most filesystems
expect to consume), and two useful
ways of creating them.

Tom will explain how devices can be combined for performance and redundancy,
including a discussion of the
performance characteristics of RAID 0, 10, 5 and 6, a good rule of thumb for
provisioning storage, how linux does
it, RAIDs failings (and how smart hardware tries to avoids them). Tom will also
explain how LVM works, go though
some examples (including mirroring and striping and using it for KVM disks). He
will try to also talk about
network block protocols like iSCSI and AoE, Distributed Replicated Block Device
and the Network Block Device.

In the new year (or the pub) Tom will be talking about how the ZFS/btrfs
filesystems collapse the stack and do
something like what RAID/LVM do by (depending on your view) telescoping some
complexity or rampantly violating
layers.

Open Stage
As per usual, time will be allocated to the end of the talk for anyone to give
a five minute talk on any subject.
If you want some time just drop me a mail or grab me on the day.

Doors are usually open before 7:00pm if people want to meet up in the centre,
The Liverpool Social Centre is two
doors up from Forbidden Planet and is the right-hand door at the front of “News
From Nowhere”. Check the window
for a handy Liverpool LUG sign, which will indicate we are there and not still
at the pub. Press the white
doorbell for access (the one marked basement) and someone will come up and open
the door for you.

Be aware that we also share the LSC with a book group, so when someone answers
the door just ask for the Linux
User Group in the basement and you should be OK. Accordingly, the centre is
having issues with the doorbell so if
no one answers give one of the contacts a call to let you in, the number will
be posted on the poster in the
window.

After any talks are finished will usually stay in the meeting area until 8:00pm
then head out to a local pub, The
pub varies from month to month and usually depends on the size of the crowd. If
you arrive late and unsure of
where we are then give one of the contacts a ring.

Website: http://livlug.org.uk/
Meeting Details: http://livlug.org.uk/meetings:2009_december
Upcoming.org: http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/4878734
Geekery.in: