[Dfey-nw-discuss] Young People + Copyright law

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Young People + Copyright law
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 21:39:29 +0100

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone else can answer this for me because I've just been discussing it and I'm a bit confused.

In the hypothetical situation that I was 15, and I took a really awesome photo or completely on my own wrote an amazing new program, would my parents, legally, hold any claims to the exclusive rights passed to me by copyright law?

E.g. If I wrote a brilliant song would my legal guardian's be in a position to claim royalties from public performances, whether I actually wanted them or not.

If I took a stupid photo of myself and put it on my website with (C) 2009 Tim Dobson at the bottom, if my parents got me to remove it because they didn't like it being in the public eye, would they have any recourse under copyright law to stop it being redistributed?

I just realised I have no idea.

Cheers,

Tim

(cross posted to dfey-general-discuss and dfey-nw-discuss)