Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] saving schools money

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] saving schools money
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 22:04:41 +0100

Chris Hilliard wrote:
> To some extent, I agree with you - a massive saving across the board
> could be achived by the utilisation of open source software, but there
> are major issues with this idea that nobody has solved as yet.
>
> Firstly, you speak of schools moving completely to OSS. This is all
> well and good, but doesn't it remove one of the most important parts
> of OSS and the free software movement? It implicitly removes freedom
> of choice by creating a monopoly - this has a tendency to stifel
> innovation as we have seen from Microsoft's dominance.

> I also strongly disagree that we have the inferstructure
I raised the concern that we don't have this,  so agree we don't have
this but need it to make progress.

 or the
> corectly taught staff to facilitate this change. Most systems admins
> in schools are purely trained on windows, caussing serious issues for
> a changeover.

I used windows for years,  and then moved to linux with zero training, I
am self taught and have IBT 2 as one of my computer qualifications.  I
can see the need technically but if someone wants to learn Linux they
will do so,

> Another issue that is of concern is the movement of data and more
> specificaly databases of student information off the propriatory
> windows systems, which is not easy to start with, as it can often mean
> manual data imput, and for a school of 2000, that's no joke.

Yes,  i agree here,  which shows a sticking point and the real problem
with propriatary software.  if it was OSS to start with then data would
be interoperable and transferable much easier (or I am guessing it would)

> Finaly, there is the long standing issue of windows licences -
> Microsoft forces a school to licence every computing device,
> irespective of wether it runs Windows or otherwise, meaning that even
> apple machines in schools are slapped with a Microsoft tax, so a
> smooth transition would be more expensive and cost prohibative than
> the current setup.

progress has been made here
http://news.becta.org.uk/display.cfm?resID=40552

> All in all, there are a significant number of barriers to getting
> widespread Linux useage in schools, many I hope, can be removed fairly
> soon.

Barriers yes, but its more to do with attitude of staff,

http://opensourceschools.org.uk/mount-tamar-special-school-whole-school-curriculum.html

ok this sort of thing is a start.  go back to what you said earlier
freedom of choice so we should be offering a range of options so
children / young people can get access to a variety of OS's and license
models, free, propratary, and perhaps debate and look at the pro's /
con's of each.

I am sure a whole term of lessons could be centred around just that issue.

Lets keep optimistic,  and we can make a difference.

Paul

> Thanks,
> Badspyro
>
> On 9/27/09, Paul Sutton <address@hidden> wrote:

> schools.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8267745.stm
>
> the following package is currently pretty much standard in schools,  but
>  runs only on windows, which of course requires a windows server to
> store data etc
>
> http://www.capitaes.co.uk/sims/
>
> What is needed by a school to go fully OSS is a real alternative, to the
> above,  PLUS related support and infrastructure to back it up,
>
> I think there are solutions out there.
>
> Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Meetings 1st Saturday of the month - Shoreline, Paignton from 3pm
Software freedom day 2009 - Saturday 19th September 2009