[Dfey-nw-discuss] Additional services on Dogfish

From: Robert Leverington
Subject: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Additional services on Dogfish
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 22:13:38 +0000

Hi,

There has been some discussion on IRC about moving more things to
Dogfish and possibly providing additional services.  Since this seems to
be progressing fairly slowly and it does not make sense to discuss each
item in an individual thread I'll list them all here and we can talk
about them in one go.

DNS:
Group access to DNS is an essential pre-requisite to many further
ventures.  It means that changes can be carried out quicker and we
aren't continuing to use free resources when we are already paying for
a VPS that will more than accomodate it.  There has been a suggestion
that it is "putting all our eggs in one basket", but I don't really buy
this.  With correct backup procedures there is no reason for this to be
the case, and if BitFolk were to go completely down (unlikely, to say
the least) then having externally located DNS has little benefit anyway;
especially given TTLs are usually far too high for any DNS change to
propogate fully before normal service is restored.

Mail:
Already being discussed in another thread, probably best to keep it
there for now.

Mailing lists:
If there is consensus to migrate e-mail to Dogfish, migrating mailing
lists could also make sense.  At the moment there is significant lag
between mailing lists being created, for example dfey-se-discuss and
dfey-general-discuss have been proposed for several weeks and (at least
I) haven't heard anything more about them.  I understand that part of
the problem is that Tim(?) doesn't have so much time to pursue things
like that, and that once Savannah have been contacted it can take some
time before requests are processed.  Migrating to Dogfish would mean
multiple people would be able to create lists, and doing so would take a
lot less time - meaning delays would be non-existent.  While Savannah
does have the benefit of great anti-spam, we would need to deal with
this for general e-mail so the problem will not exists.  Savannah also
has a crack team of moderators, but I believe there are sufficient
people in DFEY who would be willing to handle this.

Personal websites:
We have over 50GB of spare outward bandwidth essentially being wasted
each month.  Hosting personal websites is not a particularly taxing
operation and would increase the usefulness of Dogfish, it also makes it
more value for money for people contributing to the cost of the VPS.
--
Robert Leverington
http://rhl.me.uk/