Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Migration of wiki - Alternative software list

From: Robert Leverington
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Migration of wiki - Alternative software list
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 00:42:03 +0000

On 2009-07-30, Paul Sutton wrote:
> If it helps, I have created a software list page on the devon and
> cornwall lug wiki at
> http://www.dcglug.org.uk/wiki/?id=Software
>
> if you would like me to send you the source code,  it may be a good
> starting point for your own page on this if you wanted to create
> something similar, as I have added quite a lot.

That would be nice, while our existing list has the benefit of going in
to quite a bit of detail it lacks such a wide range of software.

Going off on a bit of a tangent here:

An interesting project in the long term (talking mainly to DFEY here)
might be to create something simillar to AlternativeTo [1], but only for
completely open source software.  It seems a shame for different FLOSS
groups to waste resources creating their own lists.  Does anyone know if
something like this already exists?  (Would need to have a nice
interface to appeal to non-"techies").

[1] http://alternativeto.net/

--
Robert Leverington