Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Website - www.dfey.org

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Website - www.dfey.org
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 21:27:37 +0100

Robert Leverington wrote:
On 2009-07-27, Tim Dobson wrote:
Concept One:
Static front page. Blog for announcements, meeting announcements etc,

Concept Two:
No dynamic content - Static simplistic homepage with several links to simplistic pages off from it. Modelled on in concept, if not in implementation.

My personal opinion would be to use the latter, I don't think we'd have
enough regular updates for a blog and in any case it would probably just
go stale.  Furthermore an entirely static site will encourage discussion
about content.  Announcements could simply be listed on a page and
removed when they expire, or something of that nature.

Ideally all pages would use the same template though, otherwise it would
be far from professional.

Well it's worth bearing in mind "style" isn't necessarily related to "template".

Template is to do with layout of the content on the page, style deals with how it all looks.

Multiple templates don't necessarily look unprofessional (well not in my opinion at least)
http://www.getgnulinux.org/linux/
is a different template to
http://www.getgnulinux.org/

I don't think a blog is really the right answer for DFEY.org - individual groups should really be announcing their meetings - they might wish to have their own blogs to etc but for the time being I think we'd be best off with a site with no time orientated update system, with concise, short, articles about what DFEY is, why DFEY exists etc, how to get involved etc being displayed and providing links to relevant resources elsewhere.

Tim