Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Website - www.dfey.org

From: Robert Leverington
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Website - www.dfey.org
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:15:03 +0000

On 2009-07-28, Mike Little wrote:
> I feel I really need to pipe up now. For either option the answer is
> WordPress.
>
> 5 minute install (15 if it's your first time),
> does 'static' pages,
> doesn't need to do blog (,but can when you are ready)
> Search engine friendly
> Valid xhtml output
> thousands of off the shelf templates to choose from
> easy contact form,
> can pull in external news to keep if fresh
> etc ,etc
> 100% open source (GPL 2), of course
>
> * Find a simple template at http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/ that
> you like -- don't spend too long over it, it takes 10 minutes to
> change it to something else if you don't like it. --
> * point me at the high res copy of the logo
> * find some copy for the first few pages
> * and I'll set it up for you some time in the next few days.

I don't think setting up a Wordpress instance is the biggest barrier at
the moment, in fact at one point I was one click away from setting it up
- but then someone whinged that I hadn't consulted the list on what the
sitename was going to be (even though it could easily be changed at any
point).

Once discussion started again on the list Tim made an excellent case for
having an entirely static site, which I think we should still consider.
For a start it would be significantly easier to style ourselves given
that there would not be a necessity to incorporate things like comments,
and so on.

While personally I do not have a significant personal preference, I
think this is something we should definitely spend time discussing since
it will be hard to turn around.  Making rash decisions based upon the
time it takes to set up is counter productive.

--
Robert Leverington
http://rhl.me.uk/