Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] CMS for website

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] CMS for website
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 23:33:05 +0100

Richard Thompson wrote:
2009/7/22 Rob Barry <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>>
    I personally think it is a bit of a waste of money.... The only real
    thing it's being used for atm is irssi over SSH. We could've got what
    we needed for about £20 per year in all honesty.... I don't think we
    ever really needed this much flexibility.

    As long as we have people willing to front the money though, i see no
    need to switch.

<snip>

We were going to have mail, but that has not been set up yet

Community shell severs are probably a worthwhile thing which benefits the community in many different ways.

With regards to web hosting, the jury is out in my opinion.

Control can sometimes be a bad thing - when things go wrong you have to fix then. When things go wrong on hosted system, you just let someone else worry, who is (hopefully) a lot better skilled than you.

I would really avoid playing with mail personally. It is a nasty can of worms and things go wrong much worse.

Currently our mail setup is quite nice and stable and flexible - webmail/imap/pop + autoresponders and aliases... :-/

thoughts?

Cheers,

Tim