Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] CMS for website

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] CMS for website
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 00:53:44 +0100

Robert Leverington wrote:
On 2009-07-18, Tim Dobson wrote:
I was actually going to suggest Poliglota for this.

I think the getgnulinux.org approach to the dfey.org website would actually be quite refreshing:

http://tracker.gnulinuxmatters.org/wiki/Poliglota

With reference to getgnulinux.org

What benefit does this offer?  I can't tell if there is really anything
we want that it can do and other packages cannot. Among other things it
will have the disadvantage of being much harder to tie user accounts
with other things like the wiki.

Sorry for the slowish response - as you know I was giving a presentation on DFEY at Becta's Open Source Schools Unconference and I spent a lot of time I should have spent doing things/answering email, writing and practising my talk.

Well first it would be helpful to look at our requirements and what other organisations with similar requirements have done.

One thing that might be worth bearing in mind is the consideration that it might not necessarily be desirable to have user accounts.

If we look at an organisation which uses wordpress - Manchester Free Software Group - http://manchester.fsuk.org - we can see that the actual people who update it are very few - I have credentials to add articles etc. but I wouldn't consider adding the latest article on my blog - apart from it not really being keeping with the nature of the blog, I'd instantly get lynched (it's a metaphor!) from the other members of group who might feel I was not expressing my views in the right place. Equally I'd feel the same way if someone else wrote an article on it about their favourite programs on "linux".

I think teenlinux.com is offline/a holder page but if we look back a months on the internet archive, they are using drupal.

They were a single community, online and but it's crucial to note that only a few limited people could and would write things onto the front page.

I've not looked at teensonlinux.com for a while, but as a 'rival' (in the very broadest use of the term) online teenage linux community, they adopted joomla.

But these are not organisations who we share many great similarities with structurally...

lug.org.uk - UK Linux User Groups - are a group of disparate local area groups provided with infrastructure, support and to some degree, direction, I feel to some extent represents more where we stand.

I feel that a simplistic static homepage structure - as offered by poliglota, offers a good basis for our homepage and what we do.

Thoughts?

Tim