Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] "DFEY Central"

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] "DFEY Central"
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:55:42 +0100

Please see comment inline:

Richard Thompson wrote:
I agree with Rob here, I don't see the point in two separate wiki's

I'm just gonna dump some brief summaries from discussion in #dfey here:

We should have a simple main page which would be written in simple HTML, this could have links to the wiki and a blog. The SMP (Simple Main Page) would just contain a brief statement about who we (DFEY) are and what we do

I do think a having a simple well thought out home page is key, I think

I'm not really sure why to have a blog though. Writing regular updates - what would anyone write about - who would write it.. :S If we have a blog with the detailed information, why have the simple main page which is different?

People thought it would be better to integrate the two wiki's NW and SE. One idea involved making SE wiki the "DFEY" wiki, and gradually integrating bits from the NW wiki, as it appears the NW wiki is a bit of mess.

Yeah, we can do that. I don't mind really.
Manchester Free Software group suffers from using the groups.fsf.org infrastructure because one can't get an RSS feed of changes just to their bit of the site; this could become problematic as things grow.

I would like to clarify that I do see the different local groups as fundamentally being separate from each other. It is really cool if people 'get it' and go out and meet other young people from other geographical areas.

But if technically mind young people can meet other technically minded young people from their area and chat to each other about how to do stuff, freedom at school and technology in general etc then that's probably a lot easier.

It was suggested that we should scrap sub-domains such as "wiki.dfey.org <http://wiki.dfey.org>" for a simple directory structure "dfey.org/wiki <http://dfey.org/wiki>" in order to make things simpler.

Subdomains do offer a nice umbrella though to people who would like to use the flag but want to do their own thing - I don't see this as being unreasonable.

Personally, I was thinking that local groups, might like to have their own individual web presence.. maybe using say *.dfey.org as the domain for a shared VPS etc.

Folks weren't certain what to build the blog with, suggestions were: OpenBlag, Wordpress.
It was felt Drupal was a bit overkill for our requirements.

I know it's tempting to think of technical ways of implementing this (I have several more suggestions!) but I think for the time being, it would be much more beneficial to design a site around the content rather than the content around the site.

I'm going to reply in a separate email along the lines of what I was thinking of...

Cheers

Tim