Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] "DFEY Central"

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] "DFEY Central"
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:48:08 +0100

Chris Hilliard wrote:
Seconded - we need to form a united front, and thus a centralised site
makes sense - maybe with the structure controlled by annual general
meetings of voted people from each reagon written into some kind of
formal constitution to keep the groups from fracturing too much over
time and weakening our position, and it would also keep the group up
to date.

A constitution though, should be voted on or maybe created on a wiki
for all to edit, but it may need to be started off by someone.

I think we are some way still from a constitution. I hope so anyway.

Currently, I think that having a formal structure would be completely counter productive.

I have been thinking about this for a while with public sector funding in mind and have come to the ultimate conclusion that it's not worth it.

Currently, our structure benefits from the lack of structure most of the time. If we had finances, regular administration meetings, we wouldn't be able to be as flexible and as light footed as we currently are.

I'm currently watc^C participating in the administration and running of Manchester Free Software group - it is very easy, once a heavy administrative load comes into existance, for key people to forget the reasons that brought them together. Constitutions don't remedy this in my experience; they just create a lot of admin for not much ultimate game.

With regards to public sector funding, DFEY has very little requirements for money.

The backbone organisation needs mailing lists and a web presence - yes the domains do cost money, but I'm confident that as long as someone wants to keep the group running there will be someone willing to pay the domain renewal fees. I doubt anyone thinks we should pay a web designer to produce us a website etc. Mailing lists come free and (mostly) spam free thanks to the FSF and IRC currently comes free thanks to freenode.

The DFEY-NW local group currently needs all that DFEY needs, but that is currently all covered. It also needs a place to meet, friendly to >18's, offpeak, in Manchester city centre with free wireless. Currently, I know I can call on substance.coop & the BBC to provide us with this sort of thing and there are several other people I would try if that didn't work.

The DFEY-SE local group has identical need to DFEY-NW, the only difference being that things have not progressed as far yet.

For things such as leaflets, posters, t-shirts and 'trips' to events etc. I'm fairly certain there will always be someone willing to cover the cost (within reason!) at least at the moment.

Once we have at least four local groups, this should be reconsidered, perhaps a bit sooner, but for now, I really do think a formal structure is undesirable.

Discuss.

Tim