Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Good for free software.

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Good for free software.
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:10:36 +0000

Connor Smith wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 22:29:44 +0100
Rob Barry <address@hidden> wrote:

Well, I don't think Sugar is the greatest of interfaces to be quite
honest, perhaps it could be better to just distribute bunty on a
stick, I think they already do in some places. The most important
thing here I think is that it got onto the BBC news website, a bit
more high profile than usual; I just fear  people will see the
relatively simplistic interface of Sugar and assume that all Linux
distributions are like that and be put off from trying Linux again. I
think it's basically a bit of hype over nothing tbh :P

I think you're missing the important fact that Sugar was designed for
children. ;) It's not exactly going to be our sort of interface,
because we aren't the target audience. It's unfortunate, but at
present, Ubuntu (and even less so Windows or Mac OS X) is not really
suitable for the young children Sugar is designed for. I'm sure
Edubuntu is great for education for children of a certain age, but OLPC
(and thus Sugar) stated their target audience as between 6 and 12. For
this age range, Sugar is in my opinion perfect. Synaptic may be user
friendly, but it is far from child-user-friendly...

Really?

Having used an OLPC XO on several occasions I've always thought that despite it being a fairly radically different UI to what we are used to, it is pretty intuitive. If you start using Sugar having never used a legacy "desktop metaphor" UI (Windows/OS X/GNOME/KDE etc) then I think it's just as easy to learn.

Oh and sugar isn't "simple" per se just more graphical, more aimed at low end machines and slicker.

I don't see sugar replacing compiz fusion & gnome/kde etc but I do think we could start to see it appearing on the devices I remember as talking computers.

When I was growing up I always wanted one of these laptop-like talking computers for like 7-8 years olds which played hangman with you etc. These days, as low end netbooks really get cheap - I hope we'll start giving children these sort of devices running sugar.

I don't think the sterotype of gnu/linux = this will actually start. People generally won't and don't care what OS stuff runs if it feels like an embedded device and sugar kind of does.

Tim