Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Good for free software.

From: Connor Smith
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Good for free software.
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:52:26 +0100

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 22:29:44 +0100
Rob Barry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, I don't think Sugar is the greatest of interfaces to be quite
> honest, perhaps it could be better to just distribute bunty on a
> stick, I think they already do in some places. The most important
> thing here I think is that it got onto the BBC news website, a bit
> more high profile than usual; I just fear  people will see the
> relatively simplistic interface of Sugar and assume that all Linux
> distributions are like that and be put off from trying Linux again. I
> think it's basically a bit of hype over nothing tbh :P

I think you're missing the important fact that Sugar was designed for
children. ;) It's not exactly going to be our sort of interface,
because we aren't the target audience. It's unfortunate, but at
present, Ubuntu (and even less so Windows or Mac OS X) is not really
suitable for the young children Sugar is designed for. I'm sure
Edubuntu is great for education for children of a certain age, but OLPC
(and thus Sugar) stated their target audience as between 6 and 12. For
this age range, Sugar is in my opinion perfect. Synaptic may be user
friendly, but it is far from child-user-friendly...

But, forgive me, I am a fan of Sugar Labs' vision.

cls