[Dfey-nw-discuss] Manchester Digital Elections

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Manchester Digital Elections
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 08:10:51 +0000

I'm wearing my hopefully-soon-to-be Manchester Digital hat today.

Manchester Digital[1] is a trade association for smallish businesses, freelancers and students who are, or wish to be, involved in Manchester's Digital Industries.

The Big Chip Awards[2], MD's flagship event, is fairly well known throughout the northwest, however this is not the only thing MD does by far.

MD is a democratic organisation and the council for 2009 is to be voted upon *tonight*.
There have been quite a few nominations[3] and I[4] am one of them.
I'm standing for the council on the this basis and you can take it as written that anything I do will free software centric and greatly push DFEY-NW forward:

"As a STUDENT, who has been active within Manchester's digital communities for some years, it is clear that many more students would benefit from joining in.

It's not just about making younger people more welcome, but also about supporting an exciting social space where skills and ideas can be developed and nurtured.

If elected, I will develop greater interaction between young people and the community, and will encourage Manchester Digital to create further initiatives that ease the transition from education to work."

--

All Manchester Digital members who attend the AGM[5] are eligible to vote.

The AGM will take place on TODAY - 10 March 2009 from 18:00 until 18:30 at MDDA, 117-119 Portland Street, Manchester M1 6ED[6]

What's more, if you are a student, joining is completely *free*.
If you aren't yet a member, you can come to the AGM and join MD on the night - For freelancers I think it's £25/year and it's a little bit more for small businesses.

Being part of MD has numerous benefits; free entrance to a series of seminars, an exclusive newsletter and access to useful bits of the MD website among other things, but the bit I find most beneficial is actually being connected to some of the most interesting organisations in Manchester today, many of whom use free software on a day to day basis.

What's your thoughts? (I hope this wasn't TL;DR!)

Hope to see you there,

Tim Dobson

[1] http://www.manchesterdigital.com
[2] http://www.bigchipawards.com