Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Fwd: [sf-uk-discuss] Re: Sad mis understanding

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Fwd: [sf-uk-discuss] Re: Sad mis understanding
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:38:19 +0000

Andrew Williams wrote:
Trading Standards[1]:

"If Mozilla permit the sale of copied versions of its software, it
makes it virtually impossible for us, from a practical point of view,
to enforce UK anti-piracy legislation, as it is difficult for us to
give general advice to businesses over what is/is not permitted."

Shocking and hilarious at the same time, however if they have to give businesses better advice this can only be a better thing!

I've never had an issue with the usage of Linux, its just unfortunate
that most people see it as a inferior product as it doesn't come in a
box with a massive price tag. I mean, who would GIVE AWAY software
that was GOOD! </sarcasm>

People forget that FOSS has a long way to go before it acheives
mainstream acceptance, Firefox has done wonders but people still don't
understand the OS part of FOSS :)

I think you might be confusing several issues here a little because I don't think "mainstream acceptance" in one form is too far away.

The main problem with free (as in freedom) software is that it's greatest selling point - the low initial cost (for home users that is going to nothing!) goes against some traditional sensibilities.

On the other hand, those who charge for installation/configuration of free (as in freedom) software, and add a healthy surcharge to make it seem like a "legitimate" deal stand to make a great deal, as their operating costs are probably very low.

Even if free software does reach mainstream, I suspect the average person won't care about it in the same way most of the population care very little about civil liberties (until it directly inconveniences them).

Fortunately, however, the attitude this teacher displayed is not too common.

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net
----