Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] [Fwd: [GeekUp] Teaching Kids: sign-up now]

From: C L Smith
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] [Fwd: [GeekUp] Teaching Kids: sign-up now]
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 16:40:11 +0000

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 16:21 +0000, Ian Lynch wrote:
> Go for Google Android then. You can then develop your own custom 'phone
> building on FOSS.

Indeed, there are free alternatives - Android and OpenMoko, to name two.
Android, however, needs to be jailbroken, which kind of defies the point
of free software. OpenMoko, on the other hand, is entirely free.
However, I don't have that sort of money to hand, so I use a simple
phone; a marvellous piece of technology which is able to make and
receive calls. However, I do wish that this Newall Green High School had
decided to use free software instead. Although, as Chris points out, it
would have probably been even better to simply get in a load of cheap
subnotebooks, as they do certainly work. In fact, the YeeLoong
notebook[1] should be released this month, and is entirely free
software, including BIOS.

[1] http://www.lemote.com/english/yeeloong.html