Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] [Fwd: [GeekUp] Teaching Kids: sign-up now]

From: C L Smith
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] [Fwd: [GeekUp] Teaching Kids: sign-up now]
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 16:11:44 +0000

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 15:26 +0000, Stephen Mount wrote:
> Personally, I'd love to have such an opportunity, as the iPhone is
> clearly the mobile application of choice at the minute.

That is itself a depressing fact, as Apple are a company who adore
having absolute control over all their products, stopping enthusiasts
from developing for their platform with layers of proprietary code and
DRM. We all know that throughout school we are not taught how to hack;
we are taught how to develop for Windows. Although the addition of the
iPhone is a breath of fresh air, that fresh air is itself proprietary.
Call me an idealist, but I'll wait until I actually have any control
over the platform before I decide to develop for it. As it stands, the
iPhone is a leash, for which development is obedience.