Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Questionaire: are you happy with the level of cont

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Questionaire: are you happy with the level of content filtering?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 23:35:16 +0000

mberry wrote:
Thanks for circulating the link. Terry and I are interested in exploring the
interface between the informal learning that happens outside school and the
more formal learning within the education system, and particularly in ways
of bringing some of the creativity and enthusiasm for collaboration and
exploration which we see as characteristic of the former context into the
latter.

Sounds like very interesting stuff. I, for one, will be very interested to see what things you conclude.

That said, we're trying to approach this from a neutral(ish),
academic perspective rather than setting out to prove one thing or another.

Haha. Go for it.

Whilst we're not specifically asking if young people are happy about content
filtering (bit of a no-brainer, that), our first 500 or so responses do
suggest that there's much more filtering in school than at home (no
surprise), and unblocking access to some (or indeed all) sites is one of the
ideas we're hearing for how to make the tech experience in school more like
that at home.

Well it's interesting that you say this because I've been reading the various reports on internet safety(and attempting to evaluate their standpoints.)

It would be interesting to find out how people would suggest teaching e-safety without content filtering software on the system.

It might be even more interesting how young people themselves feel they could effectively be taught skills in being alert and aware on the internet in the same way I remember getting talks from the police about how to stay safe on the street...

<humour>
hehe please forgive me for this! :)
improvements welcome everyone!

--

Ways to make The School Internet Experience(tm) more like The Home Internet Experience(tm):

* Install Windows XP home on a Celeron 900mhz with 192mb of RAM
* Network using wifi to the unecrypted wifi AP at the other end of the building * Get the least expensive "unlimited" broadband package. (1GB/month is enough for anyone!) * Install 5 different p2p programs, 3 of them spyware loaded versions and set them to start on startup. * Install 30 day trials of several different antivirus packages but completely ignore them. * Install Windows Live Messenger (latest version) and MSN Plus (with the adware) * Install the version of Microsoft Works you got with the computer. save all documents in .wps * Make sure the only browser you have is IE 6.0 with 3 visible third party tool bars including smiley central and coolwebsearch. * Arrange the desktop so the default wallpaper has icons for programs and assorted forgotten files all over it.
* Never empty the recycle bin
* Install iTunes, buy some songs, transfer them to iPods(tm) but complain, confused to non-technical people when these songs don't work on phone mp3 players. * Buy a box of tissues for the poor guy who is called to fix it. He will need post-trauma counselling.

---

Ways to make The Home Internet Experience(tm) more like The School Internet Experience(tm):

* Buy a a RM Branded Stone desktop with 8GB RAM and a 2.8 GHZ Pentium 4 loaded with Windows Vista [Ultimate] and MS Office [student version] 2007 for twice market price (even with Tesco vouchers)
* Buy Windows XP Professional and Office 2003 from RM and install.
* Leave the 'designed for Vista' sticker on.
* Buy RM's Safetynet Content filtering system and install
* Block anything useful.
* Block anything fun.
* Block anything that might possibly contain unverifiable facts. (blogs forums).
* Block anything that might use lots of bandwidth
* Block anything that might allow people to communicate
* Block anything you don't agree with
* Forget to block foreign language websites
* Whitelist all the popular advert providors and block the rest.
* Whitelist a few file extensions to download from the internet and block the rest.
* Block everything with the word 'free' in it
* Block URLs containing a word, chosen randomly by week - this week it's "dragon" ?!
* Block anything that might be offensive to everything from fleas to ants.
* Fail to block web proxies through URL patterns and just block domains
* Block anything that isn't http traffic (including https)
* Block school webmail for several days by accident (no one can email you to report the problem) * Ask RM to buy you the software they think your computers might need and install Adobe/Macromedia megasuite + Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.
* Remove most useful functionality from the start menu
* Make all users sign an AUP which is hard to break if you are to do your job/complete your course. * Display full screen message if USB devices is inserted saying it should be removed instantly citing security concerns.
* Remove computer access from anyone who attempts to outsmart you you
* Buy and Install remote desktop spying software (RM re-branded Cytrix product)
* Install IE 7
* Refuse to install OpenOffice.Org or Firefox and cite "Security Concerns".
* Put out a few press releases exclaiming how much you have spent on IT facilities and thus infer you will get your best ever results next year and massively exaggerate what ICT means to you.
</humour>

--
www.tdobson.net
----