Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Questionaire: are you happy with the level of cont

From: mberry
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Questionaire: are you happy with the level of content filtering?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:09:45 -0800 (PST)

Hi Tim,

Thanks for circulating the link. Terry and I are interested in exploring the
interface between the informal learning that happens outside school and the
more formal learning within the education system, and particularly in ways
of bringing some of the creativity and enthusiasm for collaboration and
exploration which we see as characteristic of the former context into the
latter. That said, we're trying to approach this from a neutral(ish),
academic perspective rather than setting out to prove one thing or another.

Whilst we're not specifically asking if young people are happy about content
filtering (bit of a no-brainer, that), our first 500 or so responses do
suggest that there's much more filtering in school than at home (no
surprise), and unblocking access to some (or indeed all) sites is one of the
ideas we're hearing for how to make the tech experience in school more like
that at home.

Best wishes,
Miles.

http://milesberry.net