Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] 'Safetynet and esafety'

From: Rob Barry
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] 'Safetynet and esafety'
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:20:42 +0000

I think it's evident that these 'facts' are quite dubious and I
wouldn't take anything from this report at all; after reading the
introduction and the relevant information, I think it's clear that
there is scope for wild inaccuracies in the data collected. I would
also point out that this is focused on a very small range of
vulnerable children and so I wouldn't take too much from it.

It's clear to see that OFSTED seems to have put a spin on it  as they
state in their headline that "Youngsters want more internet
protection, says new report"; firstly, nowhere in the report does it
show that children want _more_ protection and secondly this is an
incredibly small sample of children - too small and not varied enough
to actually present any worthwhile conclusions.

It seems DFEY has some way to go in combating these issues - I hope we
can do something though.