Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] 'Safetynet and esafety'

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] 'Safetynet and esafety'
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:07:31 +0000

On 27/10/2008, Fred Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Ruth Hammond wrote:
>  >
> http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/News/Youngsters-want-more-internet-protection-says-new-report
>  >  Children living away from home, or using social care services, want to
>  > feel safer online, be protected from unsuitable sites and have adult
>  > supervision, highlights a new report.
>

> Er, no it doesn't. Only 61% want content filtering, hardly
>  unanimous. Every other question asked received a minority vote.

No need to bring facts into it, these are statistics we are dealing
with and they can say anything Ofsted want them to say!  ;)

I hardly think it's surprising though that children who have little
contact with their families or any kind of security in their life
(which is common with children in care) want to feel safe and have
support from some adults.

The responses to the questions were interesting though. In particular
the comment "Children aged under 12 were more likely to advise
blocking or filtering chatrooms or porn sites than older young people
were." Is that because older children are more likely to have come
across content filtering perhaps? I was always under the impression
that younger children's access to the internet was very restricted
anyway (if only by knowledge or interest). Perhaps content filtering
for very young children would be sensible or is it not needed?

> Recommendation 8

This is just what the government have been saying for ages. I would
like these 'consultations' better if the outcome hadn't been decided
first.

That said, it would be great to see DFEY get involved with this kind
of thing and to have an impact on local or national government.