[Dfey-nw-discuss] 'Safetynet and esafety'

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Dfey-nw-discuss] 'Safetynet and esafety'
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:30:33 +0000

It's always a good idea to keep a close eye on people with power, especially if you don't completely agree with them which is why I'm on some of the public BECTA (British Educational Communications and Technology Agency)[1] Mailing lists.

The lists seem very inactive, mostly being used for annoucements, not discussion, but one, "safetynet"[2] focuses on 'children's e-safety.

The list obviously isn't a place for debates on whether content filtering is a good idea, this is taken for granted but doing it most.

Recently I saw this email come through and I wondered what you thought...

(To be honest I'm instantly wary of anything with the word 'youngster' in it because it seems to me to be a word used by people who are really out of touch with young people)

Tim

Ruth Hammond wrote:
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/News/Youngsters-want-more-internet-protection-says-new-report

Children living away from home, or using social care services, want to feel
safer online, be protected from unsuitable sites and have adult supervision,
highlights a new report.

The report, ‘Future care: Children’s advice on future care standards’, follows
consultation with 686 children and young people - aged between four and 20 -
who attended the 2008 national children’s conference. These youngsters
discussed the key issues that they would like to see considered for future
inclusion in the National Minimum Standards.

 Recommendation 8

Children should be kept safe on the internet by
blocking unsuitable sites and chatrooms, adult
supervision of internet use, location of computers
where their use can be supervised, and by teaching
internet safety to young children.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becta