Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Facebook Group

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] Facebook Group
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 00:31:27 +0100

Chris Hilliard wrote:
yeh, but its... Facebook... ewww...

and, the stupid question is, is it open source?

Well this isn't going to make that much of a difference, but in terms of software, yes it is free software under a foul but free licence (CPAL)
More details at:
http://developers.facebook.com/fbopen/

I can't say whether fbopen contains the latest AJAX, but I assume it includes most of the infrastructure needed. I would take the AJAX, especially the way facebook adds to it constantly, as something more of a "theme".

However, Ben Webb and I were discussing this earlier and as we pointed out, the stack being open actually has no relevance to the data portability issues Facebook has.

apart from those two issues I think its a great idea (it just happens
to be that I hate facebook)

I hate Facebook too, there are many reasons, I should get round to blogging about it, but it is much easier to reach out using it than persuading people to jump in at the deepend, I think...

Tim (tdobson)

--
www.tdobson.net
----