Re: anacrusis and ending

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: anacrusis and ending
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 17:57:43 +0100

On Mon, 2023-03-27 at 16:17 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Mon, 2023-03-27 at 10:08 -0400, Bob Cannon wrote:
> > In 4/4 time I have an anacrusis with three eighth notes and a first
> > ending with a half note tied to an eighth note.  I can't typeset
>
> did you mean what you have will not typeset (i.e. you get an error in
> the Print View) or did you mean that you get Denemo marking the bar
> as
> having an incorrect duration?
>
> > because
> > the first ending has an incorrect measure duration.  I think that
> > the
> > notation is correct.  What's wrong?
>
> if it is the second of these, you can just leave the bar in the
> Display
> incomplete, or mark it as incomplete so that Denemo displays it
> nicely.
Hmm, I think I'm not quite on top of this topic - what you use is the
command

Command: Short Measure
Allow too few notes/rests in this measure. LilyPond will engrave this
measure (in all staffs) with the short duration given by notes already
present when this command was issued.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Measures
Internal Name: ShortMeasure

Which tells the LilyPond typesetter that this is a short, not just the
Denemo Display.

> There is an example in the first movement of this score:
>

> http://www.denemo.org/~rshann/DenemoScores/Sammartini%20Giuseppe/Sonata2.denemo.gz
>
> which you can follow. The general point is that the "bars" in the
> Denemo Display do not have to match the typeset music, they are just
> there to help Denemo do its very crude typesetting.
this is true, but not I think relevant here...