Re: Help please

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Help please
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 17:13:05 +0100

On Thu, 2020-08-13 at 23:42 +1000, Lorna wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Back in May, you very kindly told me how to get the lyrics to print
> out
> in a part combined score. I'll paste
>
> > No, the spacing between the staffs in the typeset score is set by
> > the
> > LilyPond typesetter, the problem is that the part-combining is
> > being
> > done without allowing for the case where there are lyrics - the
> > voices
> > are being combined into a single voice and*that*  voice doesn't
> > have
> > any lyrics.
> >
> > Attached is an example which does what you want by replacing the
> > score
> > layout (the part of the LilyPond typesetting text that says which
> > staffs should go where etc) with one which has been hand-modified
> > to do
> > what you want.
> > If you open the View->LilyPond window and scroll down to the bottom
> > you
> > can see in the last section the hand-written score layout.
> > Unfortunately, to use this solution you would need to edit this
> > section
> >   for your particular score, as the titles, key signatures, etc are
> > also
> > in this section.
> > If you are not too intimidated by seeing the LilyPond text I can
> > guide
> > you through editing the score layout for your particular scores -
> > just
> > ask (on the list - others listen-in and want to know how to do
> > stuff!).
> >
> > Richard
> > This is the bit of the score layout that I edited:
> >
> > \score { %Start of Movement
> >            <<
> >
> > %Start of Staff
> > \new Staff = "Part 1" \with { printPartCombineTexts = ##f } <<
> >    \partcombine {
> >             \clef treble
> >             \key c \major
> >             \time 3/4   \MvmntIVoiceI
> >           }
> >          \MvmntIVoiceII
> >                          >> %End of Staff
> >
> >          \new Lyrics  \MvmntIVoiceILyricsVerseI
> >          \new Lyrics  \MvmntIVoiceIILyricsVerseI
> >
> > %Start of Staff
> > \new Staff = "voice3"  \with { printPartCombineTexts = ##f } <<
> >    \partcombine {
> >             \clef bass
> >             \key c \major
> >             \time 3/4
> >             \MvmntIVoiceIII
> >                 }
> >                \MvmntIVoiceIV
> >                          >> %End of Staff
> >
> >          \new Lyrics  \MvmntIVoiceIIILyricsVerseI
> >          \new Lyrics  \MvmntIVoiceIVLyricsVerseI
> >            >>
> >
> >         } %End of Movement
> >

> I tried to edit this Lilypond text and really messed it up. Please
> can
> you correct it?
You didn't send the LilyPond text that you had messed up! There should
have been a score layout with hand-edited LilyPond text but there is
only the default layout.
I can see that text you quoted is for a score with four staffs while
your new one has any extra staff at the start, which means that all the
part-combining stuff has to refer to voices that are one higher - so
\MvmntIVoiceII becomes \MvmntIVoiceIII etc - the numbering is in Roman
numerals.

HTH