Re: Help with Windows installer - nsis

From: Joe Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Help with Windows installer - nsis
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 10:54:46 +0100

Hi Richard
See below:
Joe

On 02/06/2020 10:29, Richard Shann wrote:
On Tue, 2020-06-02 at 10:14 +0100, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
Hi Richard,
On a 5 year old HP laptop running Windows 10 it installed fine.
There is a shortcut in the start menu and one on the desktop.
Ah! I don't see those on Vista - what icon is used (I'm guessing some
sort of system default rather than the Denemo icon)?

Desktop icon is

similar on start menu
And the program seems to start fine, asking me if I want to keep my
old
commands, snippets etc.
That would be very strange if you already had run any denemo version
2.4.0 on the machine - is it that this machine hasn't previously run
that version?
Surely it should ask me if I want to keep old modifications to the defaults.

 (I haven't run it fully, just started it up)
Was it supposed to run denemo by a click on a music.denemo file?
I am quite happy for it not to; a display of the xml is fine
You have to set up file associations - if you right click a
music.denemo file and choose "Open with ..." and select Denemo.bat and
then click on "Use this always" or some such it will happen.

I think it would be possible to tell the installer to do that but my
guess is it would involve registry entries and I wanted to avoid that
for fear of upsetting someone.

That
doesn't happen - I go into an XML reader.
It downloaded
Do you mean installed?
No I meant downloaded (about half as fast??). But it could be all the oldies on this estate using the iPlayer.
Installation didn't seem to be any/significantly slower

 rather slower than I am used to with the daily file; were
you standing on your ethernet cable (??!!)
And it gave a window with every file name being extracted
that's an optional feature - I think it helps to reassure people that
something is happening.

 (this may be
normal- I don't install many applications these days). The sheer
number
of them made me wonder at the size of the beast!
yes, it's got LilyPond in there and a certain amount of stuff not
needed but which would take too much investigations to identify :(

Thanks very much for the help.

Richard

with best wishes
Joe