Re: Four voices to print with stems right

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Four voices to print with stems right
Date: Thu, 07 May 2020 17:36:20 +0100

On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 22:24 +1000, Lorna wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there any way I can produce a piece with four voices, listen to
> the four voices separately, then have it print out on two staffs with
> all flags point the same way and the right length?

To listen to the voices separately click on the little flag at the
extreme left before the staff and adjust whether the staff is muted or
not (or use the command
Command: Mute
Mutes the current staff. Affects only playback.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Staffs/Voices ▶ Playback
Internal Name: MuteStaff

directly).

To have the parts print with the stems combined use the command

Command: Part Combine Two Voices
The two voices will be printed only once when they are the same,
otherwise they will be printed as parts. (Off/On)
Location: Object Menu ▶ Staffs/Voices ▶ Voices ▶ Part-Combining
Internal Name: PartCombine

I noticed that for notes more than an octave apart the stems are not
combined if you use this command on its own. To get exactly what you
show I used this command as well:

Command: Part Combine Chords
>From the cursor onwards chords will be combined from the parts included
in the part combine command.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Staffs/Voices ▶ Voices ▶ Part-Combining
Internal Name: PartCombineChords

the attached example shows this in action. I haven't read up the
LilyPond documentation on this, so I'm not sure this covers everything
you might want or is the right thing. Perhaps someone who does vocal
scores might add/correct what I've done.