Extended step time (was Re: resizing the virtual MIDI keyboard)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Extended step time (was Re: resizing the virtual MIDI keyboard)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 11:25:19 +0000

On Mon, 2020-02-10 at 05:24 -0500, Bric wrote:
> > On February 10, 2020 at 4:01 AM Richard Shann <address@hidden.
> > com> wrote:

> > > The denemo + lilypond engraving handles enharmonic accidentals
> > > much
> > > more intelligently, than, say, MuseScore, or even Rosegarden.
> > > (Although Rosegarden has the convenient command "re-spell as
> > > [sharp|flat]"). MuseScore is sloppy, spelling what should be
> > > flats as
> > > sharps, etc., with the little bit of tinkering i've done with it.
> > >
> > > I don't fully understand your denemo input process you describe
> > > above. You input a sequence of just durations somehow, ahead of
> > > playing a midi keyboard,
> >
> > yes - see
> >
> > https://vimeo.com/62188678
>
> Didn't know about that feature (and yet it's probably one of denemo's
> most powerful ones?). I've transcribed many scores by just striking
> the "A" through "G" keys, and switching durations using numeric
> keys.  I've considered that a unique power denemo provides, along
> with the configurable keyboard shortcuts for a thousand notation
> elements...  The above feature puts the whole process on steroids.
> (What is the feature's name?)

extended step time?

I'm not sure what I may have called it in various places. I edited the
Wikipedia comparison of score writers page to include this feature,
citing the fact that Musescore had a Google Summer of Code student work
on implementing it for Musescore, but someone reverted the edit giving
spurious reasons(*) (including that the GSoC student also worked on
something else). Musescore appears to have vastly more users, along
with Sib and Fin, which is partly because people think of a musical
score as a drawing and mostly because of the power of advertising (in
all its forms).

Richard
(*)
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Comparison_of_scorewriters&o