Re: [Denemo-devel] Could not open output file for writing

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Could not open output file for writing
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:52:20 +0100

On Fri, 2019-08-23 at 08:46 -0400, Freeman Gilmore wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 4:11 AM Richard Shann <address@hidden
> m> wrote:
> > just
> > (unzip)
> > >

> > > Is there a  version 2.3 like above?
> >
> > I don't think Jeremiah has found time to build one, but that
> > version
> > 2.3.1 is *extremely* similar, just a couple of extra commands and
> > minor
> > wording of help texts.
>
> Is there instructions somewhere on the wording  and commands any were
> that a dommy can follow?
> > > What version of LilyPond  is used with Denemo v2,3?
> >
> > There will be the current stable LilyPond included in the zip file
> > for
> > Windows, but you can always change the version of LilyPond Denemo
> > uses
> > to one you have installed separately by using the Preferences.
>
> Thank you
> > I occurred to me after I last wrote that there is a bug report open
> > saying that the Denemo installer for Windows (*not* the zip file
> > no-
> > install versions) overwrites the PATH environment variable. If you
> > have
> > been hit by this then it's not impossible that the error message
> > about
> > not finding a system DLL is connected to that. Very strange that
> > you
> > would see this message while trying to run Denemo but not other
> > programs, as this has not been reported as causing problems, but it
> > would affect some previously installed programs that had set the
> > PATH
> > to suit themselves. The only fix in that case would be to reset the
> > PATH environment variable to whatever the system intended it to
> > contain. But it's a long shot.
>
> I took computer to the store were i got the computer.   They said
> that i had a bug from a MS update.   ??   And he remove something
> that he said would cause me problem.   Again ??   I did remove all
> the LilyPond  stuff before i took it to the store
> because it did not work.   I have not had time to reinstall any thing
> other than LilyPond, which works Quick check on the desktop.   If i
> now have a Path problem from overwriting, from the installer, i would
> not have a clue to fix it.

Don't bother with the installer, instead use the zip file - best is

http://www.denemo.org/~jjbenham/mxe/denemo.zip

To do this download the file to a convenient place (a USB stick if you
want to carry it around with
you). Unpack (“Extract”) the downloaded file (denemo-mingw-2.2.zip) by
right-clicking and choosing Extract. This gives you a folder called
denemo-2.3.1, double click on that and then double click on the file
Denemo in that folder. (It is a Windows Batch file, Denemo.bat). This
will launch Denemo – it takes a long time to launch the first time you
use it. You can set up a shortcut to that file to make launching Denemo
easy.

HTH