[Denemo-devel] Finding lost Denemo files

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Finding lost Denemo files
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2018 17:38:47 +0100

>From time to time I come across a piece of music that I printed long
ago and have now forgotten what it was. Usually I can track it down,
but a couple of times I've been stumped - I have hundreds of Denemo
scores to look through.
So I've created a Scheme script to create a "Musical Signature" for a
file - just a list of the first few intervals in the piece. Then a one
line bash script can search through my entire collection of pieces and
print out which one matches.
This facility is now in Denemo under Score->Search for Similar Scores.
What you do is create a new score and put in the first few notes of the
score you are searching for (four or five notes is generally plenty)
then run the command. It creates the bash script you need to run from
the command line in the directory below which you keep your Denemo
scores.
What it does is to look for a match for the intervals between your
sample notes and the start notes in the scores you have. So it works
even if the copy you have is a transposition of what you entered in
Denemo.
The script that does the matching could be extended to search all
movements, or even to search the entire score for a fragment of music,
but in its basic form it just searches the opening music in the first
staff.