Re: [Denemo-devel] automatic courtesy accidentals (another feature wish)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] automatic courtesy accidentals (another feature wish)
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 09:44:28 +0100

On Thu, 2018-04-05 at 21:47 -0400, Bric wrote:
> It would be cool to be able to turn on (and off) automatic courtesy
> accidentals.
> Settings could include:
> [x] auto-insert courtesy accidental for the note that follows an
> accidental in the same measure, but in a different octave
> [x] auto-insert courtesy accidental for the first occurrence in a
> measure of a note that was modified with an accidental in the
> preceding measure (the two notes being in the same octave)

Command: (Print) Accidental Printing
Prints accidentals according to a chosen style. Affects following notes
only.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Directives ▶ Typesetter
Internal Name: AutoAccidentals

> maybe a few additional options (can't think of any at the moment)

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/displaying-pitches
#index-accidental-style

will give you an idea.

> Also - this ties in with my current default that i would like to
> change.  Currently, by default, an accidental modifier persists
> through the end of the measure for the same-name note IN ALL OCTAVES.
>
> I think this is actually "wrong" and unconventional.  The convention
> is that the absence of an accidental for notes (an) octave(s) away
> from a note /with/ an accidental, are assumed unmodified from their
> key signature value.  Denemo does the opposite, vis-a-vis what you
> type.

I think there is a bug report about Denemo's accidental style not
matching LilyPond's Default, but if so it's in the long grass, the
Denemo display is not intended to be a finished typesetter as that
would defeat the purpose. The code in question would date to 1999 so I
wouldn't hold my breath waiting for improvements to it... As long as
the display always has a consistent meaning (and you can always double
click on a note to find out what *exactly* the note is, in absolute
LilyPond syntax) it's just a pity if it doesn't follow LilyPond's
default.