Re: [Denemo-devel] Today's download: Tues 13 Feb appears to be broken

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Today's download: Tues 13 Feb appears to be broken
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:34:42 +0000

On Mon, 2018-02-19 at 10:31 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I am having trouble and could use some help. I have built a snapshot
> of git using mxe. You can try it here:
> http://denemo.org/~jjbenham/mxe/denemo.zip
> Unzip it and launch Denemo.bat to run it.
> There are a few problems that I am stuck on. The first pronlems says
> there is a script error. Then it says the tag is....
I haven't seen that (perhaps buried) - what does it say the "tag is "?
- it is the standard guile error message for an error in a script - try
hiding denemo.scm and then loading it later from the Scheme window.

>  it does not seem clear what the error is. Richard, can you put some
> more debug info out to the terminal? I am compiling it with --enable-
> debug and -D_GUB_BUILD_
> . The _GUB_BUILD_ is for the relocation support.

What we need is debug symbols, you get this with -g, and in addition we
need to turn the optimizer off as it makes debugging quite difficult,
that's -O0 so in the src/Makefile when building the CFLAGS definition
should start like this:

CFLAGS = -g -O0 ....

(there will be a way of doing this further up the food chain,
Makefile.am or something, but I always just edit the Makefile after
autogen.sh).

I ran the file you created under wine on Debian, and it didn't crash on
startup, but it did fail to run LilyPond with the message:

Error launching lilypond! Message is Failed to execute child process
(No such file or directory)

This is caused I'm fairly sure by the failure to return a temp
directory - the g_spawn of the lilypond process tries to cd to the temp
directory to do the work. I've put in debug output to make it clear
what has happened in this case.

- I didn't explore much further as wine is unknown territory for me.
I ran the executable on a Windows laptop under Vista. The first error
reported was a failure to make the temp directory, although it had
actually created it - I've added some debug output for that.
But then guile crashed consistently trying to execute the scheme
procedure (load-module ...). I hid the file denemo.scm so that it
wouldn't try to load any modules and it then did not crash. Getting up
the Scheme window in Denemo I then executed

(system "echo %TEMP%")

in the CLI which gets scheme to run the command to output the value of
the $TEMP environment variable - it was correct.

(system "echo %GUILE_LOAD_PATH%")

was also correct. But trying to execute

(load-module  filename)

caused the crash if filename existed (I set filename to the
guile/1.8/srfi/srfi-1.scm file from an older gub build to test).

the crash occurs in libguile-17.dll in the function scm_c_make_subr()

The guile interpreter is obviously working, but something is wrong with
the call to load a module.

HTH