Re: [Denemo-devel] Moving the end of the hairpins

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Moving the end of the hairpins
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 08:44:28 +0100

On Thu, 2017-09-28 at 02:38 +0000, NagyMusic wrote:
> I'm trying to shorten a decrescendo hairpin so it stops before the
> breath mark, which is printed just before the barline. I attempted
> using the Lilypond override tweak:  \once \override
> Hairpin.shorten-pair = #'(0 . 4)
>
> I inserted the Lilypond directive just before the note that initiates
> the decrescendo hairpin. Most specifically, I placed the cursor on the
> barline before the first note the begins the decrescendo hairpin,
> followed by the insertion of the Lilypond directive referenced above.
> I also tried by inserting the directive on the note that initiates the
> decrescendo hairpin. Neither of the two attempts produced the desired
> outcome. I'm grateful for any suggestions. Thank you!
>

> For your reference, I'm including the snippet from the Lilypond's
> manual below:
>

> Moving the ends of hairpins
>
> The ends of hairpins may be offset by setting the shorten-pair
> property of the Hairpin object. Positive values move endpoints to the
> right, negative to the left. Unlike the minimum-length property, this
> property only affects the appearance of the hairpin; it does not
> adjust horizontal spacing (including the position of bounding
> dynamics). This method is thus suitable for fine-tuning a hairpin
> within its allotted space.
>
>         {
>           c'1~\<
>           c'2~ c'\!
>           \once \override Hairpin.shorten-pair = #'(2 . 2)
>           c'1~\<
>           c'2~ c'\!
>           \once \override Hairpin.shorten-pair = #'(-2 . -2)
>           c'1~\<
>           c'2~ c'\!
>           c'1~\p-\tweak shorten-pair #'(2 . 0)\<
>           c'2~ c'\ffff
>         }

I suspect you are using the wrong version of the LilyPond manual for the
version of LilyPond that you are using. If you have a version of
LilyPond for which the above syntax works, then set Edit->Change
Preferences->Externals->LilyPond to the full path to that version and
all should be well.

The most recent version I have gives the following error message

Starting lilypond 2.19.43 [lily-a4889764.ly]...
Processing `/tmp/lily-a4889764.ly'
Parsing...
Renaming input to: `moving-the-ends-of-hairpins.ly'
error: program too old: 2.19.43 (file requires: 2.19.55)

when given the example in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-attached-to-notes#index-hairpins-at-bar-lines

which is where your sample LilyPond syntax appears to come from. Denemo
binaries are built with LilyPond 2.18.2 built-in (the last stable
version). You can use other versions though. with the chance that there
could be some problems with changing syntax.