Re: [Denemo-devel] The Lyrics documentation in the manual

From: Andreas Schneider
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The Lyrics documentation in the manual
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 22:10:30 +0100

Am 31.01.2017 um 20:56 schrieb Richard Shann:
> For some reason, I didn't find the section on Lyrics in the manual when
> I did a search and so I wrote some stuff and pasted a few bits from
> emails people have sent in. So now we have two sections in the manual
> and they need amalgamating and (no doubt correcting).
> I'm pasting the text here in the hope someone will volunteer to re-write
> it. (Please say if you would like to do this, so that two people don't
> do it at the same time).
> You can see the current state of the manual here
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=denemo.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/denemomanual.pdf;hb=HEAD
>
> and here is the text of two of the sections:

Some small suggestions below (you are welcome to rephrase it as you are
the native speaker):

> 3.6.11 Lyrics
>
> To add lyrics to a staff move the cursor onto the staff and choose Add
> Lyric Verse. You need to have the Lyrics View visible (see View menu).
> Each verse has a separate tab, with the current verse for the current
> staff being visible at any one time.
>
> This means that you will see the lyrics for the current staff disappear
> from the Display Window when you switch staffs, which can be
> disconcerting, but saves space in the display.
>
> The Lyric pane shows only a few lines initially, but you can drag it
> upwards if you need to see more. Lyrics are entered as a syllables
> separated by spaces or new lines (which have no other meaning).

Hyphenation signs separating syllables of one word are typeset with --
(two dashes separated by spaces). A melisma can be indicated by a single
underscore separated by spaces, but please be aware that slurs and
manual beams automatically insert melismata so that you don't need
underscores in this case.

> The full possible syntax is given in the LilyPond documentation, but
Denemo
> provides you with menu items for inserting the most useful extras such
> as stanza numbers, font selection and skips.
>
> You can switch to the lyrics pane with Ctrl-l, Ctrl-l, and you can
> switch back from editing the lyrics to editing the music with the Ctrl-l
> (or Esc or Tab keys). You can change verses with Ctrl-PgUpl/PgDn keys
> and change staffs with Ctrl-up/down, and save with Ctrl-s.
>
> Stanza numbers can be entered as well as font-changing commands. Use the
> MelismataMelismata command to extend syllables over more notes. A
> selection of notes that have no lyrics can be skipped using the Skip
> Syllables in Selection command. The lyrics menu also contains a command
> “Edit Lyric at Cursor” (Ctrl-l, Ctrl-l) which finds the place in the
> lyrics corresponding to the cursor position allowing you to edit the
> syllable that underlies the current note.
>
> Verses can be typeset in columns at the end by using command Typeset
> Verses at End which can use an externally provided Encapsulated
> Postscript file, or can invoke the external Inkscape (or other) vector
> graphics editor (see preferencesPreferences to select this).
>

> 18.10 Lyrics
> Vocal music can be typeset using the commands in the Lyrics menu.
>
> 18.10.1 Overview of Lyrics
>
> Lyrics in Denemo are handled as verses of text that can be freely edited
> in text editors that appear in the tabs of a notebook that appears when
> you execute Add Lyric Verse (Ctrl-l a). The syllables are not attached
> to the notes, so you can edit the notes freely without affecting the
> lyrics.
>
> Note that the lyrics for a staff are only shown when the cursor is in
> the staff concerned - this saves space in the display, but can be
> disconcerting when they vanish from the display as you move to another
> staff!
>
> While simply typing or pasting the text in will be enough for simple
> pieces, special indications can be included are available for more
> complex tasks, these follow the rules given in the following section and
> in detail in the LilyPond documentation.
>
> In a verse extra spaces and new lines can be used freely without
> affecting how the syllables are placed under the notes. Special syntax
> inserted for things like alignment beneath noteheads should be on a line
> by itself, so that Denemo knows not to display it under the notes of the
> display.
>
> 18.10.2 Syllabification
>
> Dashes (“-” hyphens), double dashes (“--”), underscores “_” and double
> underscores “__” and double quotes (the typewriter ones) all have a
> special meaning.

[Here I would omit the quotes “” because they confuse the user who asks
himself whether to include or exclude them. Instead, I would use a
typewriter font to mark what has to be inserted. What is the meaning of
a single dash?]

> Typewriter double quotes "" can group together separate words to be sung
> to a single note, or enclosing a space " " can skip a note.

[Comment: A syllable can also be skipped with "".]

> Syllable skips can be made for an entire selection of notes.
>
> Usually dashes are typeset with -- . For instance: The Lord is com --
> pas -- sion and love, slow to an -- ger and rich in mer -- cy.

[I would mark the example with a typewriter font.]