Re: [Denemo-devel] Large distance between notes in Denemo display

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Large distance between notes in Denemo display
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 08:58:57 +0000

On Sun, 2017-01-15 at 20:37 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Am 15.01.2017 um 20:07 schrieb Richard Shann:
> > On Sun, 2017-01-15 at 19:59 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> >> For some unknown reason,
> >
> > you have a time signature of 1/4 so it will be assigning a whole bar to
> > each 1/4 note.
> >
> >>  I get a very large distance between notes in
> >> the Denemo display which prevents me from seeing and editing some notes,
> >> see attachement. Denemo does not allow bars wider than the width of the
> >> editor window. I had split the chant into bars at the divisio to make it
> >> editable. But now the spacing has become much wider, and I have come to
> >> and end even with my large screen resolution of 2560x1440.
> >
> > I don't claim to understand how this spacing stuff works (it dates from
> > 1999) but I think you will need to adopt another approach... what are
> > you trying to do?
>
> I'm trying to improve the spacing of the notes and the alignment of the
> text according to the lilypond manual,
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/working-with-ancient-music_002d_002dscenarios-and-solutions#transcribing-gregorian-chant
> (the last example in this section).

Thinking about this the Apparent Time Signature command may not be the
best. Just use the 256/1 cadenza time signature (which is a Denemo
special, avoiding coloring in the incomplete measures etc) and put the
LilyPond syntax \time 4/1 at the start of the music - for testing
purposes just use Insert LilyPond to do that. For a proper job the
LilyPond syntax desired would go in as part of the override to the time
signature so it didn't show up at the start of the music.