Re: [Denemo-devel] Gregorian Chant in Denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Gregorian Chant in Denemo
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:16:37 +0000

On Mon, 2017-01-09 at 22:59 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> I have now succeeded to make Denemo typeset the Gregorian chant as I
> want it, see attachement. I have also attached the scheme scripts I have
> written for that purpose. For some directives (e.g. episemInitium,
> episemFinis), the order you apply them does matter. My main concern was
> that the print output is correct, I did not care much about the Denemo
> display. What does not work is, e.g., that the correct graphics are
> shown in the Denemo display for divisio minima, divisio maior,

Attached is a modified version of your file, where I have edited the
first two barline (divisio) to display a graphic rather than simple
text.
If you run the Object Editor on these and select Advanced and in that
window choose Create Script then you will get the syntax needed for the
directive into the Scheme window. The tricky bit looks like this:

(d-DirectivePut-standalone-graphic tag "
❙
Denemo
20")

I've used the character "❙" from the Denemo font - the newlines are
there to tell Denemo that the graphic is a glyph from a font rather than
a the name of a graphics file (that is if you put
(d-DirectivePut-standalone-graphic tag "DivisoMinima.svg") it would open
that file (provided it knew where it is ~/.denemo-xxx/actions/bitmaps I
think is the correct place $PREFIX/share/denemo/actions/bitmaps in the
system?).

Looking over the resultant PDF I think it may be just too hard to make
the note-head display anything more useful - while you could easily
change the shape of the note head (you would use whole-notes rather than
quarter notes) that doesn't add much to the clarity of the display.

I notice that the six note melisma (the one with the B-flat in it) is
rather scrunched up. Can you fix it with current Denemo spacing
commands?