Re: [Denemo-devel] music with 2 different time signatures

From: Donald J. Stewart
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] music with 2 different time signatures
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2016 17:24:56 -0700

(my original reply was rejected)

thanks Richard (et all), I have read the lilypond documentation, but
unfortunately doesn't explain this score's problem...

...the original score was (most likely) created in Finale...I don't have the
files, and there are a couple of different issues regarding different time
signatures...I think I'll ask them one at a time...

I've attached a pdf file and a screenshot of the 1st 'problem'.

I'd like to best reproduce the 'proportional' tempo change between the
instrumental group and the choir, where the 4/4 time in instruments
'moves' faster than the 4/4 time in the choir. Because this is not
necessarily a 'change in meter', I'd like to find an elegant way of solving
this in Denemo

thanks!

www.soundexperiment.org/NWSO/Bernfortheyshallexcerpt.pdf

On Friday, October 14, 2016 9:00:08 AM PDT Richard Shann wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-10-13 at 22:52 -0700, Donald J. Stewart wrote:
> > Is it possible to create 2 different time signatures on the same piece
of
> > music?
> >
> > I'm engraving a piece for 3 instruments and SATB choir where the
> > instruments and choir 'overlap' but don't necessarily stay 'in phase'
with
> > one another.
> >
> > I tried to start cadenza time in the instruments, while keeping the
choir
> > in time (by deleting the cadenza time, then trying to restore a time
> > signature in each line), but that didn't work...
> >
> > Is this possible?
>
> The documentation for this is at
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/displaying-rhythms#poly
> metric-notation
>
> Denemo has some commands already for generating some of the
LilyPond