Re: [Denemo-devel] Temp directory on Windows

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Temp directory on Windows
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 09:34:16 +0100

On Mon, 2016-06-20 at 23:47 +0200, Dr. Tobias Quathamer wrote:
> Am 19.06.2016 um 21:37 schrieb Richard Shann:
> > Tobias - your commit:
> >
> > seems to ignore the comment in the code that the Windows O/S doesn't
> > delete the temporary directory on re-booting...
>
> Hm, right, I've reverted the commit for now. I think I'll come up with a
> better solution in the next days, taking care of proper deletion of the
> temporary directory.

It may be difficult for you to do this unless you can test on Windows.
Bear in mind that the files created in the temp directory are not
created by Denemo but by LilyPond run as a separate process (or whatever
the equivalent is on Windows, and there are several major incarnations
of Windows out there, with variants for bug fixes). So when you try to
delete you may find that Windows believes another process is using the
resource. I have several times found that Windows will refuse to let
even the root user delete an old Denemo binary if it thinks it has been
used (not even still being used), one has to re-boot to delete.

While a clean solution for GNU/Linux would be a good idea, I think the
safest for windows would be simply to fence around the Windows code with
the G_OS_WIN32 #ifdef.