Re: [Denemo-devel] Splitting and joining staffs / voices

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Splitting and joining staffs / voices
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:44:44 +0000

On Wed, 2016-03-09 at 21:31 -0500, Phil (list) wrote:
> Are there any tutorials on this functionality?
The functionality of the "Split Voices" "Join Voices" is not documented,
but *very* likely it is not what you want. (I think it would be better
if these were hidden commands, only for people with some special needs.)
All those commands do is affect the display, showing all the voices in
the display on one staff rather than on separate staffs. This makes it
difficult to edit them without much benefit nowadays when you can have a
small portion of the score continuously typeset so you can see how they
will look on the same staff. So keep your voices displaying on separate
staffs (as when you "Add Voice").

>  I've been trying to
> figure out how to use it without much success so far.  I have a staff
> that has multiple voices that I'm thinking I need to split into
> multiple staffs to get MIDI import to do what is desired on the
> receiving end (i.e. when importing the MIDI that has been exported from
> Denemo/Lilypond, one of the apps I'm using only creates as many MIDI
> tracks as there were staffs in the source document, rather than
> matching the voices from the source)

whether you have them displaying on one or two staffs won't affect
Denemo's MIDI export. It won't affect LilyPond's either (since it only
affects the Denemo Display), though LilyPond's MIDI may be different if
you use the Voice to Staff command to typeset the voices on separate
staffs.

HTH