[Denemo-devel] [bug #47327] Continue previous work of keysig dialog mode

From: S
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #47327] Continue previous work of keysig dialog modes
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 22:32:29 +0000

Follow-up Comment #2, bug #47327 (project denemo):

I don’t know anything about scheme, but perhaps if I detail a little my
intentions when I optimistically thought I could contribute, it might provide
a little information into what the point was because my intended contribution
is probably a little more complex than something competently handled by a
scripted extension.

I was thinking I would try to expand the contents of keysigdialog.c.
(photoshopped proposal of a new key signature dialog attached)  Specifically,
I thought I would:

Expand the list of modes either
Preserving the initial design for an array of radio buttons
or change the selection to a drop down menu

Add two checkboxes (labeled here as):
Change key sig only
Equivalent major key sig help

Here’s a bit more info for the non-self-explanatory checkbox labels…

Change key sig only
If you change the key sig in the middle of your project – Denemo adds
accidentals to preserve consistency in the  written notes.  This is a great
idea if you are transcribing by ear, and then go back to tidy up your
accidentals once you have deduced what the key is.
Problem:  If you are transferring written notes and forgot to update (or were
unable to see because of a bad copy) the key signature, you are left with a
lot of corrections after the fact.

Equivalent major key sig help
For users with casual knowledge of theory, they may not be as fluent with the
equivalency of key signatures so it could be nice to provide a crutch that
allows them to engage the equivalent major key sig help checkbox, and with
this engaged, they could select the major key from the drop down box, and the
mode they want to try out (even if it`s just for the lilypond metadata and
subsequent annotations).  When flicking between modes, the change key sig only
would be particularly important to freeze the selected notes to prevent the
user from having a lot of clean up.
I think this would be possible if adding combinations to keysig.c and extra
arguments to the existing “keysig_new_” functions

As you can see, these check boxes expand the point of my “feature request”
quite a bit, but I figured I should start small until I better understand the
intricacies of the project.

(file #36539)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: Denemo_KeySigModes_Proposal.jpg Size:23 KB

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?47327>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/