[Denemo-devel] Transcribing sheet music from pdf files (description does

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Transcribing sheet music from pdf files (description does not fit)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:29:07 +0000

> Hi there,
>
> I try to transcribe a piece of sheet music scanned as a PDF document.
>
> I use denemo 2.0.2 on a window 7 machine.
>
> I followed the description given on http://www.denemo.org/tutorials/
>
>       * I open denemo
>       * I open the pdf file containing the sheet music via
>         File/Open/Open Source for Transcribing
>       * The document shows up without any problem
>
> The tutorial now says “choose Movement→Capture Score→Capture Measures
> (Score)”
>       * I select the “Movements” menue (the one between “Score” and
>         “Staff/Voices”) but cannot find any command related to
>         “capture”.

These commands are hidden, right clicking in the Movements menu you can
find them (now in a submenu "Capture") however unless you have a version
of Denemo built with GTK2 the commands are not available.
As it says at the start of that tutorial on denemo.org:

"The section below shows how to capture images of measures from an
original and attach them to a score. For many uses a new facility
providing links to the original will be preferred. For that option see
the menu item File→Open-→Open Source for Transcribing."

Only the Apple Mac binary is still built with GTK2, so this facility is
not widely available; it would be possible to code it for GTK3, but the
new facility is so much more useful that it probably will just be
dropped. There is a video demo of using a source for transcribing

https://vimeo.com/62188678

I'll update the website - thank you for drawing attention to this.

Richard