Re: [Denemo-devel] A couple of stem questions

From: Phil (list)
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A couple of stem questions
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:39:29 -0500

On Wed, 2016-02-10 at 22:06 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-02-10 at 15:15 -0500, Phil (list) wrote:
> > I am working on a piece that has Occasional Polyphony and have
> > added an
> > additional voice as suggested in the FAQ.  This results in two
> > issues I
> > was wondering if there's an easy solution for:
> >
> > 1) The formatted piece has all sorts of issues with stem
> > direction.  Is
> > it possible to force all of the stems in the first staff up and the
> > second staff down?
> (I'm guessing you mean the typeset, though the display is also
> controllable with respect to stem direction)
>
> the change voice commands (Alt-v ...) do more than just force the
> stems,
> there's the position of ties, slurs, ornaments ...

That sounds like what I'm looking for.  However, Alt-v doesn't do
anything (is it available in 2.0.0?) and I don't see any options on the
Staffs/Voices menu that appear to do what you are describing.  (the
more general options like voice properties editor doesn't bring up a
dialog/editor as far as I can tell)

> > 2) Is it possible to have beamed notes between the two staffs? (if
> > so,
> > not sure how stem direction should be handled given 1)
>
> yes, beamed groups can cross staffs, LilyPond even does kneed beams
> if
> there is a lot of space. See the Change Staff command to make a voice
> switch staffs.

Just so I'm understanding, would it allow for something like what is
going in bars 2/3, 6 and 7 on page 3 of http://imslp.org/wiki/File:Bach
_-_BGA_-_BWV_578.pdf ?  (I thought when I added a voice to a staff, it
was still part of the staff as far as Denemo was concerned)

> There's an example of keyboard polyphony in the Examples. (Rather
> ancient ...)

When I attempt to File->Open->Examples, I get a "No examples directory
in installation" dialog (as far as I can tell, I've installed all the
Denemo packages for Debian: denemo, denemo-data, denemo-doc, ttf-
denemo.  Is it generally recommended to either build from source or use
the download from the web site rather than the Debian package?)

Are you referring to Showcase->Sample Output->Pavana & Galliarda
Dolorosa on the web site?  (if so, it looks like the .denemo could use
some updating as it doesn't render for me)