Re: [Denemo-devel] the term spacer

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] the term spacer
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 08:15:55 +0100

On Thu, 2015-04-30 at 21:46 +0100, Joe Dalton wrote:
> Hi Richard I'm working to find the right Danish term for this expression:
> spacer

I may have coined that use of the word in English.

> the place in the program can be seen in the attached png file.
>
> Is it correct understood that it is a function which inserts a kind of
> whitespace;

> which somehow equals a kind of rests/pause symbol?

Elsewhere I have used the term "non-printing rest" for this object.
Looking up the LilyPond documentation
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/writing-rests#index-rest-1
I see

"An invisible rest (also called a ‘spacer rest’) can be entered like a
note with the note name s:"

So perhaps I got it from there. It would be good to know if there are
other terms used to describe this in music typography. The meaning is
that the object takes up the musical time and the space in the printed
score but uses no ink. It is used often when parts are resting and it
seems to the engraver that the score would be clearer without explicitly
showing the resting part.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespace_character
that is the equivalent in text-typography
> http://www.denemo.org/docs/denemo-manual.html
This is an old version of the manual - on the
denemo.org/Documentation->Manual page there now a link to the current
state of the manual
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=denemo.git;a=blob_plain;f=docs/denemo-manual.html;hb=HEAD
but no images directory (the images are not up-to-date anyway,
unfortunately).

I'm sending this to the list as others may know more about the
terminology.