Re: [Denemo-devel] displace rest vertically behaving oddly

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] displace rest vertically behaving oddly
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 12:40:37 +0000

On Mon, 2015-03-16 at 07:53 -0400, Ellen Schwindt wrote:
> I am using denemo 1.2.1 with various additional command scripts added
>

> I am experiencing odd behavior when working with the notes/rests-rest
> insertion-displace rests vertically command--
>

> when I place the cursor where I want to rest to appear and select
> dispace rest vertically, the program changes my rest into a note of
> that time value where the cursor is. I've attached the measure in
> question, which is full of cues. Please look at measure 21 --the
> dotted eighth note g in the cello part was a rest until I selected
> displace rest vertically.
>

> Does anybody have any wisdom?

I changed the note back to being a rest (using del,del) and repeated the
command and it worked fine. Can you reproduce the bad behavior?
If you can, can you try some simple examples:
      * In a new score place a single rest and put the cursor on the
        rest higher or lower and execute the command.
      * In a new score put a dotted eighth note rest between two quarter
        notes, add a second staff and create a cue around the dotted
        eighth note rest to the second staff. The displace the rest.

I just created the second of these simple examples using a windows
machine and it behaved correctly.

The behavior you have seen is symptomatic of the script crashing, as
what it does is to change the rest to a note and then tell LilyPond to
print it as a rest. If it crashed between these two things you would be
left with a note. However, it is somewhat difficult to get information
about such a crash on a windows box :(

Let me know the result of any experimentation. It would be good to have
a new windows build (Jeremiah!) so that we could be quite sure that your
Denemo installation is not corrupted now (you could do the tests using
the usb-stick version to check for that ...)

Richard