[Denemo-devel] feedback on some new features

From: Bric
Subject: [Denemo-devel] feedback on some new features
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 19:27:45 -0500

some of this is belated, perhaps...

Spill-over: mixed feelings. Or, practically speaking, it's good sometimes, and sometimes worse than the alternative:

spill-over is good when you actually WANT a tied spill-over. But - correct me if I am wrong - denemo doesn't let you change duration ahead of typing in a note, WITHOUT CHANGING THE LAST EXISTING NOTE... . So: If a 4/4 measure currently already contains: { 1/8, 1/4, 1/4, 1/4 ... } and you just want to add an 1/8th note, to fill the measure and NOT spill ... that forces the automatic spill-over situation. Your next note will be a 1/4, and spill over 1/8-1/8... leaving you the extra task of deleting the spilled (second) 1/8, then cursoring left, over to the first 1/8, removing the tie, then cursoring back right... Ugh... tedious, compared to before, when it just placed my 1/4, highlighted the bar red/pink, and let me change the duration with just one key stroke.

Where is the toggle to revert to the old way? And maybe ideally there should be an on-the-fly toggle, with some keystrokes. It *IS* useful when you need it.

Shortcut list: great start. I haven't found a way to search ("Ctrl+F") the list, though, without copying and pasting the whole thing into notepad or some such.

Deleting a note: I actually grew to like the old way very much: incremental deleting - after a few persistent "delete" key strokes I was left with a rest with duration equal to that of the note I just deleted. Further "delete" key strokes removed the rest as well. That was very useful and efficient, I thought.

(And, of course, I'm not talking about "cut"-ing notes/measures ("Ctrl+x"))