Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo-1.0.0/1.0.2 wont compile

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo-1.0.0/1.0.2 wont compile
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 17:57:54 +0100

On Tue, 2014-05-13 at 17:41 +0100, lux-integ wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 May 2014 15:38:10 Richard Shann wrote:
> > This error message indicates that something is wrong with the fluidsynth
> > package installed. You need the -dev versions of the packages to build
> > from - have you installed the dependencies following the list on
> > http://denemo.org/hacking-sources/
> > ?
> > Perhaps you could give the background of what you are trying to do -
> > what architecture etc. Usually the configure/make/make install should be
> > enough, after all.
> Many thanks for your sugggestion
> I am using blfs linux  -pure64bit  non-multilib   (i.e. no 32-bit libraries )
> And everything is compiled from source code. Fluidsyth-1.1.6  like all the
> ohers  in the distribution was compiled from sources.   No errors were
> reported.  The build, test and  and install logs  are below.  I apologies for
>
> the large email  but after reading  readers could trim  out the fluidsynth-
> logs   for any future versions of this thread.
>
> #-----begin fluidsynth build log----------------------
>
> cd  fluidsynth-1.1.6
>
> rm -fR  ../build-fluidsynth-1.1.6
> mkdir ../build-fluidsynth-1.1.6
> cd ../build-fluidsynth-1.1.6
>

> /usr/local/bin/cmake \
> -G "Unix Makefiles"     $BUILD/fluidsynth-1.1.6 \
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/audio \
> make
>

> and then as root
> make install
[...]
> #-----end fluidsynth build log----------------------
>
> If I have missed something with fluidsynth including installing the wrong
> vesion or missing a compile option I would be grateful for advice or indeed
> if
> yanking out fluidsynth and recompiling  is necessary  ; that too I am
> prepared
> for.
>
> Thanks again I I look forward to replies.

You are probably much more of an expert than I am on this stuff, but
there would be two things you could build from the fluidsynth sources,
one would be a library which users would need to run programs like
Denemo and the other would be libraries and header files needed to build
applications that call the fluidsynth API. On my machine I see these
in /usr/include/fluidsynth, if they are present then that should be ok.
The other thing that occurs to me is that fluidsynth has a header file
called audio.h and Denemo has a different header of the same name.
I wonder if some build systems might pick the wrong one?
Well, I am perhaps a little out of my depth here, but at the point where
you see
#------ make for denemo-1.1.4
/usr/include/fluidsynth/audio.h:69:16: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or
'__attribute__' before 'void'
 FLUIDSYNTH_API void delete_fluid_file_renderer(fluid_file_renderer_t* dev);
                ^
make[2]: *** [pitchrecog.o] Error 1

is that the first sign of trouble? Does it not say where the include
of /usr/include/fluidsynth/audio.h is? Looking at this now, it *does*
look like it is opening pitchrecog.c and finding
#include "audio/audio.h"

and for some reason opening the audio.h in the fluidsynth includes...