Re: [Denemo-devel] lilypond version weirdness

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] lilypond version weirdness
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:43:53 +0100

On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 04:10 -0400, Bric wrote:
> I have two working lilypond versions installed on my Ubuntu Maverick,
> simultaneously:  2.16.1  and 2.17.7
>
> denemo's config has been using the older 2.16.1 version, or so it
> seems.  When I export as lilypond the *.ly file has:
>
> \version "2.16"
>
> I finally got around to trying to suppress or remove version 2.16.1 and
> make 2.17.7 the default everywhere.
>
> But here's the weird thing:  denemo keeps generating *.ly files with the
> line "version 2.16" in them.
>
> Is this some bizarre coincidence? Is the current git 1.0.9 have a
> built-in "minimum lilypond version compatibility", and it happens to be
> 2.16, or is denemo somehow aware of my particular system's lilypond version?

Denemo is currently outputting \version "2.16" unless you set
Score->Score Properties->Paper->LilyPond Version

(eek!, that is some horrible old built-in thing)

Denemo does have code for detecting the installed LilyPond version, but
it has been disabled for a while now due to some complications (with
windows I would guess). There isn't supposed to be anything in Denemo's
lilypond output that would fail in 2.17, but, of course, that is a
moving target. When the next stable release is made (2.18) we would
upgrade Denemo if needed.

> (The additional weirdness is that I am failing to find the proper way to
> remove my lilypond 2.16.1, because I can't find my source tree for that
> version; i think I used a shell script to build it (this was a while
> ago!) and it got installed in my $HOME/bin, but that's a different
> story. When I remove "$PATH/bin" from my path, the "lilypond" command
> starts to mean /usr/local/bin/lilypond, which is 2.17.7, otherwise, it's
> 2.16.1. I have launched denemo from the command line, from a shell where
> "lilypond" means /usr/local/bin/lilypond[_2.17.7], and with ~/bin
> missing/moved.
The LilyPond installer creates an uninstall script in your ~/bin
directory which you should use to remove it. AFAIK it is the same as
removing the scripts in ~/bin and removing ~/lilypond (although there
are font caches somewhere once you have run LilyPond, but they may be
ok).

> Denemo still generates 2.16 *.ly files
yes - see above, that is hardwired until you change Score->Score
Properties->Paper->LilyPond Version

Richard