Re: [Denemo-devel] Chord symbols

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Chord symbols
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 14:10:27 +0100

On Sat, 2013-05-04 at 14:26 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Am 24.04.2013 17:31, schrieb Richard Shann:
> > Actually, what I have done so far is not what I should have done first -
> > it is limited to LilyPond users, because it uses a custom layout which
> > would need editing (e.g. for the title). I'll replace the template with
> > one which has a chord-staff via the same mechanism as Tablature.
>
> After coming back home, I'm trying to use the cool new chord staff
> feature. Can you please explain how I can do chord variations (e.g.
> d:m6, a:sus4)? I couldn't figure out how it works.

Are you using the (new) chord staff - in this case you write the chords
you want in staff notation and they are typeset as chord-names. In this
case the rhythm is completely independent, and the example
(File->Open->Open Example->Independent Chord Symbols IIRC) shows how to
make the chord symbols stop showing.
You will notice that you don't need full chords. The note C on its own
is the chord C, you need C and E-flat to get Cm and so on.

The older method is still there - you have to know the naming
convention: I am almost completely ignorant about the subject - I have
read a little in the LilyPond documentation where the notation is
discussed.

It is also possible to change the naming convention for chords (there
are apparently many of them). Again the LilyPond manual will give the
syntax, which will need inserting - ask if you need help doing this.