[Denemo-devel] [bug #36928] Print Transpose doesn't work properly on mul

From: John Beattie
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #36928] Print Transpose doesn't work properly on multi voice parts.
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:24:46 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, bug #36928 (project denemo):

To answer one of my own questions: one way to make Lilypond do what I want
seems to be to have the transpose for first voice in Staff and another one for
2nd voice in its Voice i.e.

%Start of Staff
new Staff = "Euphonium 1"  <<   transpose bes c''
 new Voice = "VoiceIIMvmntI"  {
  clef treble
{ key ees major}
{ time 2/4 }
 MvmntIVoiceII                } %End of voice
 new Voice = "VoiceIIIMvmntI"  {
 transpose bes c''
  MvmntIVoiceIII                } %End of voice

%End of Staff

Unfortunately it is not that simple. The problem is the scope of the transpose
and this can be seen best by placing the transpose inside 1st voice.

If you have immediately before "clef", it does nothing (transposes clef!)
If you have it before "{ key", it transposes key but not the notes.
If you have it before "{ time", it does nothing (transposes time!)
If you have it before "MvmntIVoiceII", you've guessed, it transposes notes but
not key.

You could have the tranpose as the first thing in a voice with the rest of the
voice enclosed in braces:

 new Voice = "VoiceIIMvmntI"  {
 transpose bes c'' {
 clef treble
 { key ees major }
 { time 2/4 }
 MvmntIVoiceII                  }      }           %End of voice

That works fine but might but might be difficult to manage in code. Carrying
that idea out to the Staff doesn't work. A transpose followed by { followed by
two Voices then } results in one after the other not together.
I suspect the simplest solution will be to have the transpose before each "new
Voice". The following does work:

new Staff = "Euphonium 1"  <<   transpose bes c''
 new Voice = "VoiceIIMvmntI"  {
 clef treble
 { key ees major }
 { time 2/4 }
 MvmntIVoiceII                  } %End of voice
  transpose bes c''
  new Voice = "VoiceIIIMvmntI"  {
  MvmntIVoiceIII                } %End of voice

%End of Staff

I leave it up to you to decide how best to implement this.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?36928>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/