[Denemo-devel] MIDI generation

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] MIDI generation
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 16:51:14 +0000

It occurred to me a month or so ago that with just a few primitive
commands added to Denemo we could generate the MIDI for playback from
scheme. This would make it much easier to implement things like repeats,
less mechanical note lengths and so on.
With Nils working on a more MIDI oriented program, I wondered if there
was a possibility of developing the algorithm for MIDI generation in an
abstract form, so that it could easily be implemented for any program by
providing primitives for the basic operations of stepping through a
score.
Does anyone fancy writing such a top-level description of MIDI
generation from a score? Has anyone listened to other attempts at this,
e.g. LilyPond's MIDI output?